Monday, March 21, 2011

FO: Handspun "Sunshine"

(this has also been talked about on The Elusive Thread Blog....)

I finally finished the superwash merino that I had started back in December for CraftyCoug's Christmas present.
           
Sunshine 3 ply
Sunshine 3 ply

Sunshine 3 ply
Fiber: Lisa Souza superwash merino in Squash Blossom, bought at Stitches West 2010
Spun: worsted style with a short forward draw
Ratios: Singles were spun at 14:1 on my Ashford Kiwi using the fast flyer set. Plied at 11:1

Finished Weight: 16-24 WPI with a few looser bits, roughly a light fingering weight yarn, with spots of laceweight and light DK




After I ran out of one of the singles, I opted to finish the rest with a Navajo Ply. Best idea ever.




Navajo Sunshine



Navajo Sunshine
Finished Weight: 12-20 WPI, closer to a heavy fingering, light DK weight


Both skeins were washed and then thwacked to finish. 


I think if i were to do this again, I would want to do all the singles as a Navajo ply in order to preserve the color progression. I like that this one feels more solid, but I still think the barberpole effect on the 3 ply was really interesting and pretty.


Next onto the wheel: Yarn Pirate Superwash Merino in Fiona


Yarn Pirate in Fiona



I can't wait!







2 comments:

Laura said...

Beautiful Sunshine. I have spun my Fiona and am now making a baby sweater for our soon to be born newest grandson.

Pandora's Box of FIber said...

How did you decide to spin the Fiona? I'm leaning towards worsted style, but want to see what you did.

I'd love to see a pic of the baby sweater once it's done!